Monday, December 05, 2005

a poem out of nowhere

this morning a poem sort of wrote itself in my mind. i wasn't sure at first what it was about.. until i made time this evening to "listen" to my brain. anyway, this is what came out. it isn't a literary masterpiece.. but i'm ok with that.. :D


I LOVE YOU


the first time i laid my eyes on you
i saw only beauty
and my heart was filled to overflowing
right then and there
i loved you

you did not know me then
yet i watched your every move
i counted each smile, each tear
i've always been there
i loved you

i saw you spending all your time and energy
on work, on friends and on family
i wondered whether you ever thought of me
but i continued waiting
i loved you

more than a thousand times you've hurt me
with thoughtless words and unkind deeds
but mostly with your indifference
yet through it all
i loved you

the years have not all been kind to you
i've seen you get hurt and broken
more times than you could count
yet even in your suffering
i loved you

i saw through your protective masks
and recognized your wounded spirit
i wanted to take away your pain
to free you from your burdens
i loved you

nothing i desire ever compared with you
though you did not yet love me
i chose to give up everything for you:
my body, my blood and yes, my very life
i loved you

at last, you took notice of my sacrifice!
and my love for you drew you near
but do not hide your face from me
i still think you are beautiful
i love you

my love, i have absolutely no regrets
a million and one lifetimes
i'd gladly offer up
yes, each and every one - for you
i love you

the first time i laid my eyes on you
i saw only beauty
now, as i hang dying here on the cross
taking away your sin
taking away your shame
healing your brokenness
healing all your pain
i gaze at you
and i still see only beauty

i love you

No comments: