Monday, February 26, 2007

that awful T word

no original post for me today. i just wanna repost this devotional i got off the net while browsing for newsletter materials...
* * *

I Made a Mistake. Now What?

If you hang out in any Christian circles, then you are probably familiar with the idea that sinning is bad, as it displeases God and separates you from Him. You hear a lot about what not to do. Its great to know where God stands on certain issues, but how do you not sin? Heaven forbid that you fall into temptation. What happens then? Can you ever look at yourself the same? Will God?

That Awful 'T' Word: Temptation

Temptation is not a new concept. Just as every human being is expected to brush his teeth, comb his hair - so does every human have the expectation he will be tempted at some point. You may find yourself in a place you arent normally tempted, and wham! You failed the test you didn't know you were taking.

But remember this. The wrong desires that come into your life aren't anything new and different. Many others have faced exactly the same problems before you. And no temptation is irresistible. You can trust God to keep the temptation from becoming too strong that you can't stand against it, for he has promised this and will do what he says. He will show you how to escape temptation's power so that you can bear up patiently against it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (TLB)

God does give us a way out, but you have to obey Him and love Him more than the present moment, no matter how pleasurable or vindictive you feel. Better than knowing or justifying your actions, is knowing Gods mercy will allow you back in His good graces.

Temptation is only a temporal thing. Like studying for a mid-term, it is a lot of work in a short period of time, but in the end it pays off and you graduate.


God, Show me how to stand against the temptation, cause I am so weak. I turn my life over to You and repent of my actions and receive Your forgiveness right now, in the name of Jesus. I feel like I've been on a roller coaster ride, trying to gain Your and my approval again. I wish I could blame my selfish actions on someone else, or a demon, but it's all me, God. I haven't been able to stop in the past, but I have a deep desire to do so now, and I am asking You to make sure that happens, because I know I can't do it in my own strength. Thank You. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen

No comments: