Thursday, March 23, 2006

feeling lucky

some people are really lucky. you can put them in a swampful of crocodiles and in the end, they'd end up walking out of that place, not just alive, but with tons of crocodile skins to sell. ok, so i don't personally know anyone who's *that* lucky. but i think i've made my point. some people are just born lucky. fate favors them. the universe conspires to give them the best of *all* worlds. and these people, they get all these blessings on a regular basis.. without even lifting a finger.

now, lest you people think i'm talking about myself, let me say it now. I AM *NOT* ONE OF THOSE LUCKY PEOPLE. well, not by myself, at least. but i suppose i can say that i'm "lucky" by affinity, hehehe. you see, my dad is probably one of the luckiest people i know. really.

everytime i go to a bookstore sale to look for my favorite titles, i almost always get the reply "ay ma'am sorry, kakaubos lang nung stock namin nyan.." from the salespeople. no kidding. but whenever i'm with my dad, even after all the salesgirls have told me that the book has already been sold.. that they are absolutely sure that they don't have a single one in stock.. my dad is able to find that last remaining copy in an obscure area of the bookstore. no joke. it's happened to me twice this month. (the first time was when i searched for a copy of "season of mists" at a different bookstore; the second time was today when i looked for "the wake" at the powerbooks warehouse sale)

now, my dad's "luck" is not restricted to finding my favorite books. he's also the kind of guy who can walk into the marketplace.. chat casually with the vendors.. and get loads of discounts and freebies to boot. he always gets the best items (top of the line gadgets, too) for a steal.. or for free. oh.. and did i mention that whenever his car bogs down, it almost always happens when he's only a couple of meters from our house or from a gas station?! he never gets stranded anywhere. his timing is impeccable - even for those events that he has no control over. sheesh.

i could go on and on to tell about how lucky my dad is. but i suppose there's just one way i can explain his "luck" : God must *really* love my dad. 'coz everything seems to fall into place for him. i bet Someone up there must really be watching over dad.. making sure things end up right all the time.. even under the worst conditions.

i've been witness to my dad's "lucky streak" for as long as i can remember. i don't know if i'll ever be as lucky as he is. but who knows?! maybe i will. after all, i am my father's daughter, hehe. perhaps God is just showing me that i can be as lucky, too.. 'coz i have Him for my Father as well, hehehe :p

i can't wait for the opening of "a different bookstore" this saturday. maybe i'll try my luck there hahahaha

No comments: